Tuesday, March 18, 2014

POV Exercise

The first paragraph of a short story I'm working on...



1st Person (Original):

I awake to the sound of an engine starting up in the driveway.  Fuck.  Becky took the car and left without me.  Sometimes I swear she pull shit like this just to spite me.  I groggily open my eyes and drag myself out of my warm bed to the window.  The morning air is cool on my face and the breeze blows my satin curtains into the room.  Through the light, misty rain, I see my younger sister blow a kiss in my direction as she backs out with the Honda- the Honda that we agreed to share.  I sigh and rush to get dressed.  It’s going to be a hell of a walk to make it to school on time.


3rd Person:

Jen awoke to the sound of an engine starting up in the driveway.  Fuck, she thought.  Her younger sister, Becky took their car and was leaving without her.   Jen groggily opened her eyes and drug herself out of her warm bed to the window.  The morning air was cool on her face and the breeze blew her satin curtains into the room.  Through the light, misty rain, Jen could see her younger sister blow a kiss in her direction as she backed out with the Honda- the Honda that they had agreed to share.  She sighed and rushed to get dressed.  She had a hell of a walk ahead of her if she intended to make it to school on time, which she did

No comments:

Post a Comment